The Hornshoppe Forum
October 23, 2017, 09:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you for the Naked Truth  (Read 10333 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »

Thanks guys, yes, the volume may not go to dead silent. iI takes very little light in the case to start passing signal.....the level however should be very low.

I have no idea why it requires warm up even though it is always powered up. What if the warm up is not it but the speakers being cold? This actually makes more sense to me. I doubt this is the case.

Thanks again for the comments!

Sonic, my Toshiba SACD/DVD player sucks. Bright, lifeless, just plain bad. SACD does not allow for external DAC but regular CD played using optical or co-axial into any of my DACs sounds "normal".

Ed
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

Ed,

I only noticed the very slight volume when using 120 WPC on the Horns. At any playing level it's absolutely noise free.

My BluRay players are by Sony and Samsung. I don't think I can hear any differences between the two of them.

Never considered that the 126en may need to loosen up a bit. Who knows?

I have a pair of KEF coaxials left over from my buddy Curtis' stuff. I'll place them in the system tonight just for grins. The Horns are much more revealing of the (Truth) Sorry, couldn't resist that pun.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Naked Truth is a world class preamp.

Steve
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

Sonic, my Toshiba SACD/DVD player sucks. Bright, lifeless, just plain bad. SACD does not allow for external DAC but regular CD played using optical or co-axial into any of my DACs sounds "normal".
If it's really old (real old DAC chip), then it may cause audible difference.  Magidrakee mentioned blu-ray/dvd players so I'm wondering (because they are recent).
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

If it's really old (real old DAC chip), then it may cause audible difference.  Magidrakee mentioned blu-ray/dvd players so I'm wondering (because they are recent).

Last time I checked it was around 2005 with some generic DVD player, and yes there was very audible differences. But you are right Sonic, I assumed they could still be using inaccurate DAC chips/circuits in more recent Blu-ray players since analog outs are almost no longer used (when available), but I don't have proof of that. You can remove "Blu-ray" from my previous statement.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »

Last time I checked it was around 2005 with some generic DVD player, and yes there was very audible differences.
What I meant by "old" is 1980's.
I assumed they could still be using inaccurate DAC chips/circuits in more recent Blu-ray players since analog outs are almost no longer used (when available), but I don't have proof of that.
I'm not sure what inaccurate DAC chips/circuits mean.  I don't want to assume so I'm asking, what does that mean?
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »

If it's really old (real old DAC chip), then it may cause audible difference.

Or, "All newer DAC chips will not cause audible difference". Have your heard and measured them all?
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »

Ed,

You've got a winner in the Naked Truth. I find it slightly more open, with a bit more depth than my previous reference. To some, this may sound like faint praise. Rest assured that is not the case. For about ten years, the no longer available Morrison ELAD has been the top preamp in my experience . Like the N-Truth, its a very basic unit of unconventional design. ( the Morrison uses op-amps AD797 and the NT has Ed's well, trick circuit.) I've had a couple of, popular on this forum,  products like the T*** and D****** units, not to mention A******* R******* and others. I'm keeping with Ed's policy of not naming brands.  You'll have to read between the lines. No audiophile hype from me, the damn thing works, and does its job of buffering a signal, and controlling volume better than anything else I've come across. Thanks Ed, you've built one heck of a preamp. The fact that I can afford it, is icing on the cake.

Steve   Cool
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:31:19 PM by Steve F » Logged
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »

Or, "All newer DAC chips will not cause audible difference". Have your heard and measured them all?
Two things
1. Newer? What year does that mean?
2. Since this is audio discussion, lets stick to hearing part.  When someone does listening comparison of DACs, how do you think they should set it up?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:49:00 PM by sonic » Logged
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:53 AM »

I have created a new thread so we can continue our discussion there, if you want.

Cheers.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

More Naked Truth. As good as it is with music, it's even better with movies. I can pick out differences in sound stages and what foley artist are doing. Especially so when I get to check out a "screener" as opposed to finished product.  (OTOH I am drawn into listening to the movie more so than just watching it. There you go again Ed, you've f@&$#* up my movie enjoyment.  Wink  )

Still, the thing that impresses me most is the dynamics. Yeah, I know that quite often that is primarily a function of the recording, but... For a no gain added device, the NT does a better job of preserving those dynamics. A lot of preamps seem to compress the sound slightly. I don't notice any of those artifacts. Maybe a couple of Truth owners could comment? 

Steve
theophile

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »

More Naked Truth. As good as it is with music, it's even better with movies. I can pick out differences in sound stages and what foley artist are doing. Especially so when I get to check out a "screener" as opposed to finished product.  (OTOH I am drawn into listening to the movie more so than just watching it. There you go again Ed, you've f@&$#* up my movie enjoyment.  Wink  )

Still, the thing that impresses me most is the dynamics. Yeah, I know that quite often that is primarily a function of the recording, but... For a no gain added device, the NT does a better job of preserving those dynamics. A lot of preamps seem to compress the sound slightly. I don't notice any of those artifacts. Maybe a couple of Truth owners could comment? 

Steve

I agree with what Steve says about the dynamics. Really though, does The Truth have any glaring weaknesses? I'm sorry but given what I've heard over the last 35+ years, it is the other preamps that I've heard which have the limitations.

Turntable - Yamaha GT 2000
Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice (ebony).
Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

I am convinced that the best preamps are also primarily buffers. That's what the Truths, Morrison, and I wish I could borrow one, Pass B1 all do. Most every amp an audiophile uses, can be driven single ended by any tuner, blu ray player, phono section, etc.

I also think that passive controls aren't any good. The same can be said for a lot of preamps with high output impedance. This is one of those I know but won't bother to prove things.

While I'm ranting, I also believe that most tube preamps are just highly colored devices with way too much gain. I do like the Grounded Grid, and Buzz' work with them is very promising.

The glaring fault of the Truth? That's easy. I can't remember which set of RCA jacks ate in or out. Ed should add stickers. How's that for a major complaint?  Roll Eyes

Steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »

It would be cool if the Truth got a pro review at some point.  Ed would lose his trail time.  Wink
johnnycopy

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »

Steve

Steve.  Here is my quote froma couple weeks back on the other truth thread.  Seems you are hearing and enjoying exactly what i hear.

Revealing, naked truth. I love it.  Neil young at massey hall is astoundingly real, and all music types benefit from the Increased micro and macro dynamics, pace, and realism.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 04:05:32 AM »

Yes we are all in agreement. The NT is something special.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: