The Hornshoppe Forum
July 27, 2017, 01:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you for the Naked Truth  (Read 9691 times)
oceanfront59

View Profile Email
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »

Holy Crap Ed..
This Naked Truth is simply amazing. Naked Truth has the uncanny ability to be swept away in the multi- layered musical textures that are reproduced by this fine machine. I have been so captivated by its portrayal and rendering of musical instruments. Whatever recordings I throw at the Naked Truth it just plays it back true with the instruments and performers sometimes floating in space. Believe it or not I have been listening to her for the past 9 hrs.straight!! Only took a break to have dinner. You maybe right to say that my "****"  preamp would sound broken compared to the Naked Truth. I believe it does sound inferior to the Naked Truth. Of course if I had never paid attention to you offering the Naked Truth I would have been content with the performance of the "****" preamp. Man am I ever glad I decided to take the plunge.. I can honestly say that this is a keeper!!
I hope you can help me find a good home for my "****"  preamp.
Thanks again for all the personal assistance with  the Naked Truth..

Peter
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:12:53 AM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

Hey Peter, thanks so much. I modified your post to eliminate the name of the other unit. I hope it's ok. No need in naming names, the NT will stand on it's own Smiley I only care that you are happy.
Ed
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:32:05 AM »

The Truth and Naked Truth are great volume controls.

Their are several classified sections, including this side, where you can offer your other preamp for sale. Though I am not sure if any Truth users would want to buy any other preamp.  Grin Grin Grin
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:02:53 AM »

Hey Peter, the difference is amazing, eh?  I would have never predicted that it could be that much better than some rather fine products I own.  Enjoy!  

The hillbilly did it again. Grin

edit: I own one of those "****" preamps too and there is no contest.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:48:35 AM by Henry » Logged
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »

I tried to use my headphone amp's pre out as a pre once. Sounded like syrup in comparison to the truth.
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »

Guys' you've got me dying of curiosity. Ill find out for myself soon enough, but...

Steve
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Same here Steve... my NT (well, Peter's) is on the way and I can't wait... These kind on reviews certainly don't help!
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »

Waiting won't be too bad. I just picked up a small integrated amp that uses the 13EM7 tube. It's quite nice and the subject of a review soon.

Still hoping I get my NT by next weekend. Im really expecting a lot. Mostly Henry's fault. His comments about how it beat out some really good preamps, and raises the bar for resolution has me intrigued. Ed can be a redneck genius at times. This should be a lot of fun.

Steve
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Steve, since you have an optocoupled volume control in your "****", it'll be interesting to see how it compares.  Smiley

Mine has an Elma selector, Nobel pot and fancy pants capacitors... still didn't compare to the Truth.  Shocked
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »

Henry, I had optocouplers in my **** . The preamp became noisy and went back to it's Uncle Buzz. He is still in possession, so no comparison there. Maybe I can get it back.

In my case, the current preamp is the no longer made Morrison. It's considerably better than any tubed unit I've come across, dead quiet, and a choice of 6 DB or unity gain. I find it amusing that neither the NT or M is conventional.

I am finishing up a pair of speakers for a friend that is sort of a 2 way version of the Klipsch Cornwall. Huge box, more efficient than the old Horn model 3, and can handle just about 300 WPC. Still have my Horns too, non Heil these days. I'm getting ready to rock the 'hood. The last time I did this the cops showed up, on a Sunday afternoon.    Cool
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »

My friend still has some Cornwalls and they can bring it. Grin  I remember when he got them back in 1980. He lived in a tiny 2 bed apt.  His neighbors absolutely hated him for the speakers among many other things.

Oh, to be 24 again... Cheesy
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

My Naked Truth arrived today. The box it came in looks like it went through a war. The preamp was fine as Ed had a lot of wrapping material around it.

I had to call Ed to find which RCA jacks were in or out. I didn't know which control was volume or balance. After messing with me a bit, I had guessed wrong, I fired it up and music came out. Success!

I've got it playing in a small system using one of my speaker experiments, a smart BluRay player and the Jonokuchi amp. It needs a sub and can't be connected off Y connectors. I must have packed up all of my speaker wire. Can't find any. Might take a road trip to Home Depot to buy some cord. Everything is a bit bright right now as there is no response below about 80-90 HZ. No review until I can st it up opposite the Morrison preamp. Early observations: it is better than the major brands. Got a nice effortless, open quality, and bandwidth is excellent. More Friday or Saturday.

Steve

Edit : I stopped at Radio Shack & bought some cheap speaker wire. I hooked up the sub and dialed it in. I like it! This is the cheapest audio system I've owned in thirty years. Among the best I've ever heard too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:49:56 PM by Steve F » Logged
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »

Hey Steve, just received my NT too. Very pleased so far with the transparency! Now I just need to find some more time to listen to it...

I just want to point out that sometimes those blu-ray/dvd players have awful integrated DACs, hence the "bright" sound maybe.

Enjoy your new baby!

Charles
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »

I just want to point out that sometimes those blu-ray/dvd players have awful integrated DACs, hence the "bright" sound maybe.
Which brand and model is this?
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »

Charles,
Its not the player, its my speakers. I'm playing through a 'project' pair that at the time of my post, didn't have any bass reinforcement, and a pair of wide open tweeters. Since then, I've built a crossover and its better. Not where I want it to be, but my speakers are in the gestation stage. Something very good is going on, but there's a long way to go.

I like the NT. I have been enjoying movies and music. I switched back to high powered solid state amplification, and have noticed a couple of unusual artifacts not present in the tube amp. For example, you can't turn the sound completely off. Balance seems to drift a bit until music plays about 15 minutes, although the NT is on continuously. No big deal. I put the Horns back into the system for a consistent reference.

I won't have time to A-B the NT against my reference Morrison, nor do I have a tubed preamp in the house. Maybe Sunday.

Sreve
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:37:39 AM by Steve F » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: