The Hornshoppe Forum
October 21, 2017, 09:35:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  
Author Topic: Build the FFRSMark 4:20i. plans/parts here!  (Read 86484 times)
homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »

Well I finally got around to building some sub buckets (4).  And I hooked up
two of them (in parallel) and they sound fantastic! pretty awesome for the
amount of cash to build these, & a piece of cake to build.

The other 2 buckets are going in my workshop, but maybe I'll hookup
all 4 and see if I can chase out these termites that showed up recently.
I'll Bet Henry doesn't have Termites Cheesy

So I hooked up a Wellborne crossover that I had on hand, And  It has a fixed 60hz
cutoff,  This gets fed from the 2nd set of outputs that ED installed on my TRUTH.

As For the (sub)Amp,  I am using an old NAD 2200 power envelope Amp that I had
since my high school days.  
I bridged it so the signal is mono.  It kicks pretty good at 2 ohms  (in bridged mode
ohms are halved) so the 4 ohm series load is seen as 2 ohms by the amp.  
The NAD bridged output is 400w continuous, 1600w on peaks (6db headroom)
 & 50 amps max current.

I may get a Crown amp eventually, Not sure how long this old NAD will hold up,
They had issues with the high speed switching relays going out.

HEY ED.................... I have an old pair of Your magic cables,  Will these
work with the pass F1   (I'm guessing not)   I know speaker crossovers are not recommended on the load
of an F1  So I presume an active sub crossover is probably not a good idea, what do
You think....

homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »

homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »

installed  some  threaded inserts 14-20 the feet.

homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »

NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »

Hello to Ed and the group; this is my first post in this forum.  A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across Ed's FFRS subs in a link to this thread posted over on the DIY Audio Subwoofers Forum.

I ended up reading all 15 pages of this thread in one setting!   I was just about to spring for a Dayton Ultimax 15" sub in a sealed 3L Parts Express box as well as one of the Dayton plate amps, then I saw Ed's brilliant redneck bucket sub and I was hooked.

I now run a pair of quasi Orion-type dipoles with SEAS Excel tweeters and 2 SEAS 8" mids per side in DuPont Corian baffles and 2 TC Sounds 12" woofers per side in birch ply H-frames.

My system is tri-amped via Behringer Ultra Drive Pro crossover and DEQ2496 for eq which feeds a Paul Hilgeman 6 channel volume control.  My amp is an Adcom GFA 6006 (six channels).  Preamp and source is nothing fancy; an old Hafler DH-110 preamp and I listen primarily to Spotify out of my old laptop pc.

The sound hitting my old ears (2) absolutely delights me.  I listen to everything from Bach pipe organ, classic jazz, 60s-80s rock, punk, vintage reggae, 90s Algerian rai, Chopin etudes, Colombian cumbias and French hip-hop to Mississippi Delta/Chicago blues and avante-garde ECM jazz coming out of Scandinavia.  There's probably a few dozen other genres I missed but you get the idea---I like music a lot (unlike my wife, who is always telling me to "turn that stuff down!")

So while I enjoy my system a lot I miss the old days when I used to run a Dahlquist DQ-1W alongside a pair of Magnepans and really had a full range of Hertz bouncing around my listening room.  The H-frame woofers are great; nice taut, clean bass but I worry about trying to get too much out of them with my present set up.

Enter Ed's Magic Bucket Solution.  Wow!  I liked them from the get-go, at least from all I've seen and read here.

I ordered a Crown XLS 2502 yesterday as well as 4 Peerless 830667s.  I was going to try two but then I thought, why not 4?

After two days of searching ebay and Amazon and going around to all the local hardware stores in search of the perfectl 5-gallon buckets I ordered 4 this morning (via Amazon) that are ALL BLACK, heavy-duty 90-mil with ribbed tops and gasketed lids.  They will look pretty cool, I think and I will worry less with the sturdier 90-mil type, too.   I also found some bright yellow versions that I almost went with instead (Yellow SUBmarines) but then I thought some more and realized the black ones would look less out of place scattered around our condo's living room over the long run.  My wife doesn't know about this new project yet; I plan to build them when she's out of town near the end of the month and have them running when she returns a couple of weeks later.

I have a few questions that I will ask in future posts but am glad to have found this forum and the wonderfully innovative bucket sub therein.  Coincidentally, I live on what some call the "Redneck Riviera" (Texas Coastal Bend) so my quartet of subs scattered around our 11' x 18' living room should feel right at home. Wink

One of the reasons I chose going with Ed's subs instead of the single Ultimax is that they will probably blend better with my dipoles---I plan to experiment but xover will probably end up being set around 60-80hz.  I will post pictures of my speakers soon; it's time to feed the cat.

Cheers,    

Jeff

PS:  I really like Homey's use of the heavy-duty bolts and lock nuts as anchors, as well as the Gorrilla Cammo Tape that has a very nice matte finish.  I was going to use the same tape (as not much else can really stick or be glued to HDPE unless it's heat welded) and then apply paint to the tape but then I discovered the shiny black buckets up in Boise, Idaho....very shiny and pretty!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:42:13 PM by NH7RO » Logged
NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »

Hi folks; Still working on my bucket subs here but am seeing light at the end of a rather short tunnel.  I poured the concrete for two of the subs yesterday before running out to buy another bag of QuicKrete Fast-Setting concrete. 

After doling out and weighing four paper grocery sacks with my big digital scale so that each contained exactly 12.5 pounds of QK (50 lb. sack) I began adding water to the first batch in a 5-gallon bucket (Wal-Mart cheapie purchased for the mixing only). 

The 12.5 lbs was not nearly enough to fill the subs up to the decking screws at the 3-inch level where I'd put them, so another batch was mixed and poured in a little at a time.

Turned out that each sub, rather conveniently, required a full 25 lbs (half-bag) of QuicKrete. 

So since I only had enough to do two subs I hopped in my car and zoomed off to get one more bag at Lowe's.  I went to my local Ace Hardware first but those pirates wanted $10 a bag---so I drove 11 miles to another town where Lowe's is---and they had QK on sale for $3.98!

Made my day, even though I used a gallon of gas to/from Lowe's.

Today I am mixing up the rest and after pouring the last two I'll start work on a DIY angle-aluminum rack bracket for my Crown amp and Behringer crossover that will fit atop it.

Pictures and a thread about my build of these 4 Bass Miracles will be posted here and also on the DIY Audio subwoofer forum soon (approximately late next week).

But now we know exactly how much concrete is necessary for a 3" base inside the buckets, in case anyone else was wondering (25 lbs per bucket)

Cheers,  Jeff
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:01 AM »

Hi Jeff, just a few points.......build the high level cable using a 600 ohm resistor to get the signal to the crown. Wire them in series/parallel and run the amp in bridged mono. I've found multiple subs running in mono to integrate better than running them in stereo.
Welcome aboard.
Ed
NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »

Hi Ed; Thanks for reminding me of that way of feeding the Crown although lately I've sort of planned on running the two pairs in stereo and wired in parallel to show 4 ohms.  But integrating them is more important than the impedance that the amp will see in bridged mode---I know---so will likely end up using your method in the end.  Good thing I haven't cut the speaker cable yet, ha, ha!

I also considered running the extra line outs (from the "lows" channels of my six-channel Adcom amp) into the Crown's line in but I have no idea what value of resistor I would need for buffering when combining the stereo into mono.

At least I had the foresight to buy two 680 ohm and two 330 ohm resistors when I was in town last week just in case I opted for the Magic Cable route after all.

Heck, just as I was about to post this I realized that I will need to figure out how to hook them up in series-parallel---I've already installed dual banana plug style binding posts and have the sets of dual banana plugs handy---and the Crown only works down to 4 ohms.  If I were to wire all the subs in parallel that would result in a dangerously low 2-ohm load.

Going series parallel brings that up to 8 ohms which is fine but I'll need to run a single wire between each sub to its mate and then connect the other "loose ends" of the dual speaker cable together as well.   Doable but not all that neat, if you see what I mean.

I'll scratch my head some more and figure it out.  Meanwhile I'm heading outside to mix that second bag of concrete.

Thanks again,  Jeff
NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »

I figured out a way to use one continuous length of speaker cable and still wire things in series-parallel; by "tapping" one side of the two-wire cable at the two front subs and connect the ends of the cable to the rear subs.  I will also connect things the same way at the amp's mono output so everything will be hunky dory (8 ohms mono).

NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

My swarm of four is finished and humming along very nicely with the big Crown in bridged mode.  Using Ed's Magic Cables with 680 ohm resistors on the.775v input sensitivity setting and all is well.  Xover set at 59hz at the moment; started out at 90hz and have been going down ever since.  Left (bridged mono) input gain is at about 12 noon for now but I am still getting things dialed in.

I love 'em!  More details and photos to follow in a few days or so.

Cheers, 

Jeff,  NH7RO
NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »

At long last here are some new photos of my system with the bucket subs (two of which are in back of and to the sides of my mains);

[/

[/

I am really enjoying these great little subs; even my wife approves, too!  The Crown XLS2502 is a very nice amp, too.

Thanks again, Ed for a fun and worthwhile project.

Regards,

Jeff
NH7RO

View Profile Email
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »

FYI

Just noticed that the Peerless 830667 8" subs are on sale now through December 31st at Parts Express---regularly $66>>>>$58 and some change.

Orders of $100 or more ship for free so if one buys two or more it becomes an even sweeter deal.

---Jeff  (happy PE customer)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  

Jump to: