The Hornshoppe Forum
June 25, 2017, 06:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories  (Read 3203 times)
Magidrakee

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »

Very good sounding album.
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »

Ha! Paul Williams, Nile Rodgers... I haven't seen those guys in decades.  Grin  What a surprise.

Nile Rodgers was a member of "Chic" and was a funk monster in the "70's.  His grooves were genius, whether you were into that stuff or not. And he produced so many giants back in the day.  Wink

Thanks... 
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »

I'm getting more and more into funk, but I'm "young" and clueless. Will definitely check out these legends work!
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »

Paul Williams was more of a "standards" type song writer, but take a look at Nile on the Daft Punk collaborators section for a taste of what he was about.  He's a pretty slick guy... intelligence pays sometimes.  Wink

George Clinton, Larry Graham, and Bootsy Collins, and so many more are all worth the trip into Al Gore's interwebs.  Cheesy

Check out this Larry Graham bass solo: (skip to 4:30 for the Hendrix-like runs and don't miss the crazy stuff at 6:45):  Grin
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/11/15/larry-graham-bass-solo-live-au-bataclan/

PS- Where's that bucket sub for my computer when I need it!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:02:01 AM by Henry » Logged
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions/links!

Insane grooves... being a bass player myself, I really enjoy this stuff. I need to improve my slapping tough...

As for the sub, Ed must be putting the final touch to the servo-control as we speak! Wink
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

You would enjoy the tribute Govt. Mule did for their deceased bassist, Allen Woody.  They gathered 25 of his favorite bass players after his death and explored their different styles.  Mike Gordon (Phish) directed it and the dvd is worthy of finding since you are into playing.  They featured everyone from old guys like John Entwistle, Bootsy, Larry Graham and Jack Bruce to somewhat newer guys like Flea and Oteil Burbridge (Woody died in 2000, so it's a little dated, but still pretty timeless).  The extra features section of the dvd present the bassists in more detail and Larry goes nuts in that one as well.  Cheesy

I remember being especially impressed with Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power) and Entwistle (The Who) because they made impeccable playing look effortless with their jazzy style and seasoned chops.  Smiley

It's pretty cheap on amazon and there's one left: http://www.amazon.com/Govt-Mule-Rising-Matt-Abts/dp/B00006L921

Most of the complaints about the film are unfounded (lots of G.M. fans thought they were purchasing a friggin' concert video... I suppose G.M. fans aren't the brightest as a whole  Grin).  There are two companion cd's if you want the music seen in the film (the Deep End Vol. I and II) and a concert dvd/cd set that came later... the Deepest End (go figure  Smiley).  It's a treat to see some of the bassists performing the studio material live with Matt Abts and Warren Haynes as the mule is all about live music, IMO.

I think the efforts over several years by the band to honor Allen stated a lot about their character and his impact on their lives.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: