The Hornshoppe Forum
May 28, 2018, 02:57:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bright room & GHH  (Read 18075 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

Hey Capt., I'm pretty sure Bruce was not talking about sonics but rather the fact they are failing in the Beast even though they are operated well below the V ratings. They are not in the signal path in the Beast.
Hope this helps and if you don't think the new caps "sound better" it's quite possible you're right. Different may or may not be better Smiley I always thought the Solens were fine in xovers or as output caps but it seems they can't take the heat in the Beast.
Ed
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »

After reading a statement made earlier on by Bruce on the Transcendent Sound board that the Solen Caps are 'crap' I recently got some decent priced 1.0 uf Mundorf Supreme Caps (NOT oil or silver or gold, just plain vanilla) and replaced the 4 Solen caps on the Output board in my Transcendent T16, since they easily accessible and changeable.

First and biggest impression was less upper extension. I actually had to make a small adjustment the GHH to make up for it. But now it seems that the sound has become fuller (in comparison to the (Solen) and the sound has become more musical. (I need to say that I had altered Ed's x-over before as you can see above  to make them sound 'just right' in my system and room to my taste, so this was another adjustment to take into account the difference a different cap made)

Before I used the GHH with the 3.9 uf cap for 99% of the time, now I am using 4.2 uf in the x-over.

Interesting how a small change in the set up can change the sound of the GHH. I assume that is another prove on how transparent these drivers are.  

This afternoon I took some time to A/B the Solen vs the Mundorf caps. I believe the Mundorf top has opened up a little since first installing them. There definitely is a difference. The Solen have more high end and are leaner sounding, maybe that’s why they are called fastcaps.

I prefer the smoother, fuller and warmer presentation of the Mundorfs.

The Mundorfs are almost as long as the 39 uf Solen from the first x-over, though by far not as fat. So I don’t know if they would fit inside the new trap door on the Horns.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:53:10 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
Magidrakee

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »

Hi Capt. Z, have you tried the Mundorfs in the series crossover as well? I am still very happy with them. Absolute non-fatiguing sound, at least to me Wink I have not felt to need to make changes to my system since that, except for the bucket subs.
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:41 AM »

Grin Were I not as completely gaga as all y´all, I´d say you belong locked away.

Bugger me wellies (have a Brit translate that) - being able to hear a difference between caps of same value but different brands, means you got yourself a bloody good system.

Pit
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »

Yes, got the Mundorf Supreme in my GHH Serial x-over.

This is from my last post:
This afternoon I took some time to A/B the Solen vs the Mundorf caps. I believe the Mundorf top has opened up a little since first installing them. There definitely is a difference. The Solen have more high end and are leaner sounding, maybe that’s why they are called fastcaps.

I prefer the smoother, fuller and warmer presentation of the Mundorfs.

NOW: I no longer run the 0,33 uf caps in parallel as I've done with the Solen. I do prefer the sound of the Mundorfs by themselves.

Still don't have enough time on them to have them fully broken in. So it should get just better.
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »

Hey Pit;

What can I say. Got Ed's speakers and Bruce's amp.

Come over to Scotland and let's have a German afternoon/evening and listen to the difference in caps  Grin
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

Dieter, if I could get myself my dream of a motorbike, I´d be there in no time flat.

My guess is, Scottish weather at this time of year just makes you reduce your wants and cravings to a comfy armchair, a decent bottle, and your record collection within easy reach - if whoever one prays to has opened ones ears to a decent HiFi chain.

And as to adding a small cap to make a cheaper one quicker - that´s not voodoo, it´s physics - and keeping within ones financial limits until more of the filthy lucre is available. Wink
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »

Hi Pit; 

Motorcycling is not the best thing to do in Scotland with over 250 rainy days, most other days are cloudy and wet also.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: