The Hornshoppe Forum
June 25, 2017, 06:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Truth Pre Amp and Burson Buffer  (Read 20870 times)
bhobba

View Profile Email
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

Hi Guys

This is my first post here so please bear with me.

Just by way of introduction I am a Hi Fi guy from Redland Bay Australia.  I really enjoy checking products out and seeing what they do in my system.  Currently my system is a Tranquility DAC, a Redgum Amp and Lenehan ML1 Speakers with Ribbontek cabling.  However it is soon to undergo a major upgrade to a Leben C300, a Level 2 PDX DAC and Lenehan ML3 Reference.

As part of that upgrade I was looking at a Burson buffer which is also an impedance matching device but does not have a volume control.  I was just wondering how people think the two would compare.  I actually suspect the Truth could be a bit better since its input impedance is higher and output impedance lower.

Thanks
Bill
gamve.au

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:07:59 AM »

Hi Bill,
You don't need the burson buffer with the truth. I have both and the burson is not required.
Think I am prolly the only aussie with a truth pre so far
Cheers
gamve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:55 AM »

I am not a 'Techie', but I would say that you want as little as possible in the signal path, that could mess up the original signal.
Less is More
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:27:15 AM by Capt. Z » Logged
bhobba

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:44:18 AM »

You don't need the burson buffer with the truth. I have both and the burson is not required. Think I am prolly the only aussie with a truth pre so far

Hi Gamve

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.  I was thinking of getting a Burson to try but now think the Truth would be the better choice.  But just out of interest how would you say the two compare in transparency?

I am in two minds whether to mention this but on this forum I think I will.  I ordered a Burson 160D DAC/Headphone Amp to check out and be part of a DAC shootout I am looking to arrange.  It was over two months ago I ordered it.  All sorts of fancy excuses - the latest one is it got lost in transit and wont be here until the 24th.  Its fairly obvious that since they got a stellar 6 Moons review they can't keep up with demand and rather than say you will have to wait a while and possibly scare off potential customers they come up with these lame excuses.  It really does not inspire confidence in ordering other products.  Nothing against Burson who do make good products.  One did arrive at the store I ordered it from for another customer (and even that one they were told it would be delivered in a week and it took nearly two months with similar excuses such as they lost it etc) and they checked it out.  It was good all right - nearly as good as a reference DAC they had at four times the price - but this type of carry on does not sit well with me and I really don't feel like ordering more of their stuff.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:55:34 AM by bhobba » Logged
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »

Hey Bill,

Like Capt. Z, I'm no techie either, but I have to say The Truth is "stupid good", as Ed might put it. The Truth adds nothing to the signal. That's not to say it does nothing, but it adds nothing. It's like air. Ed can 'splain it better. If you are wanting to "add" something to your signal (like pleasant harmonic distortion), then The Truth is probably not for you. The Truth will preserve whatever magic comes from your source and feed it cleanly to your amp. So, if you are interested in lifting the veil that seems to hover between your volume control, preamp, amp, speakers and ears, I recommend you try The Truth.

Also, I wanted to mention (since you brought up your headphone/DAC) that as a buffered preamp, The Truth can drive headphones. Here's my ramblings on it from the previous forum. Basically, you need a $2 RCA to 1/8" adapter from Monoprice plugged into the Truth output and you're good to go. This is also a great way to really hear the beauty of The Truth volume control, as the effect is right in your head (or rather, lack of effects).

And finally, I just wanted to vouch for Ed as an honest and forthright fellow. Ordering from another country can be dicey, but I just want to put in a plug for Ed and say you WILL get your goods. If not, let me know and I'll drive down the road here in South Carolina and go prod him. He's good people.

Best,

Guy
benbnguyen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »

In addition to the buffer I think the magic of Ed's Truth is in the led volume control scheme.  It just sound like no other pre-amp. I have.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »

Thanks guys, but if we're honest we'll point out I have been very slow in getting stuff out. This is not due to "problems" of any kind but rather simply lack of time/poor time management. I also have (since last Sept.) tried not to work after 5 or 6 pm or on weekends. In other words I have attempted to have a little time off. this has been a disaster as far as getting stuff out. The reason is simple....the first 25 or so Truth Pre Amp I built mostly at night and on the weekends if the weather was bad. They got done no matter how many Horns I had in line or what errands needed to be run during the day. Trying to do both Horns and Truth without using the evenings or weekends has caused me to be very slow getting stuff out.

So, since my plans have been a disaster I'm back to a couple hours at night. Have to do it in order to catch up, and besides, lately TV can't interest me enough to stay awake and the listening room is too cold to stay in for long.

Thanks again for all your support and patience.
Ed
bhobba

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »

Thanks guys - and Ed.

I can see once my current round of checking stuff out is finished I will have to get one of these things to check out.

I know all about what the smaller guys go through - I have dealt with quite a few over the years.  Usually produce the better product but the hours they work etc is murder - and usually simply for the love of it.

Thanks
Bill
gamve.au

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »

Hi Bill,
As far as I am concerned "The Truth" is just that. Don't waste your cash on the Burson Buffer as the Truth does it all in spades. Lightspeed + Buffer + Cabling does not = the Truth.

Ed,
Did you get my personal message a while back...Sounds like you could do with some help?
bhobba

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:16 AM »

As far as I am concerned "The Truth" is just that. Don't waste your cash on the Burson Buffer as the Truth does it all in spades. Lightspeed + Buffer + Cabling does not = the Truth.

You convinced me.  Now I just need to wait until some of the other stuff I got to check out arrives.

Thanks
Bill
gamve.au

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »

Bill,
I'm going to send my truth to Tuyen later in the year. Your welcome to borrow it for an evaluation if you like
Cheers
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »

Hey Graham, yes I did....I'll shoot you mail soon.
Ed
bhobba

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:59:47 AM »

I'm going to send my truth to Tuyen later in the year. Your welcome to borrow it for an evaluation if you like

Yep - know Tuyen pretty well.  He is in WA and I am in Brisbane so he will have to ship it to me.  Actually will probably get it shipped to Mike Lenehans to check it out on his reference system before whacking in my system.  Of course many thanks.

Thanks
Bill
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »

Hey Guys, remember, it should always be plugged in (unless it is storming or you're screwing with the electricity) And that it should always have both a source AND amplifier hooked to it.

I have not had problems running them w/o being hooked up but it's free insurance, so why take a chance?

Also, if you're going to be shipping it, it's a good idea to  check to make sure the heat sinks have not come off! The buffers will die quickly without them....and turn purple in the process. they'll tell on you Smiley

It also needs at least 10-20 minutes to warm up after being idle. I don't know why.

That's all I got for now.
Ed

bhobba

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »

Hey Guys, remember, it should always be plugged in (unless it is storming or you're screwing with the electricity) And that it should always have both a source AND amplifier hooked to it.

I generally leave my stuff always hooked up but do switch it all off at the power point when not listening.  I personally am not an advocate of leaving gear running all the time and wasting electricity.  As far as the truth goes would this be a problem?

I must say I personally am liking this product more and more and can see myself getting one even before Graeme's kind offer of a trial.

Thanks
Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: