The Hornshoppe Forum
August 19, 2017, 02:12:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Home-made "V2" crossover needs a review  (Read 9109 times)
Tre

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

I made some changes in my SET 6b4g amplifier. I was able to get rid of some shunt capacitance that the driver stage was having to drive. (long story that includes some cheap grid chokes and some high capacitance cable)

This extended the high frequencies of the amplifier and the Heils responded very nicely to this change.

I ended up needing to further pad down the Heil by almost another 1db. The total padding on the Heil is now just over 6db.

I sure like these tweeters.

Ed, you made a very good choice when you picked the Heils for your project.

Tre'
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »

Hey Tre', I've been using the Heils since they became available. In the late 70's, early 80's a buddy and I built magnet structures and bought diaphragms from ESS. I even made some by hand. Much better to buy them and just slide them in Smiley.

When I first tried them with the Horns I used a 18db xover and the values were about what you'd expect. Went to 12db......moved point up. I have never been concerned about the xover point with them but rather have worried about reliability with low xover points and slow slopes. The series xover seems to have eliminated that concern in my application.

I experimented with all sorts of points.......all were fine but when I accidentally tried the 1st order series xover things got better. The values were nothing like what I expected, as you have noticed. The current values are 5.1 or 5.6 and .9 or 1.00 mh. Yes, I know, it makes no sense but it is what it is and it's very good!

Try the Amp Camp Amp!
Ed
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: