The Hornshoppe Forum
December 14, 2017, 06:18:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Times These Days  (Read 17244 times)
bob from florida

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:31 AM »

Hey Ed,

After the craziness last week in Connecticut my first thought was sympathy for the Parents of those children and the relatives of the adult victims.  Once the politicians and other assorted jackasses started with the "gun control will fix everything chant" the next thought was "time to buy another firearm".  So I did just that last night at the local Gander Mountain - took me almost 3 hours to go through the process due to the crowds.  The firearm Manager told me that the store had sold $317,000 in guns in just 2 days - mostly AR style .223's - the type that Diane Feinstein wants to ban again.  When you think about it the Public reacts whenever these "talking heads" in power open their mouths.  It seems to permeate all aspects of our existence - the President says something about monetary policy and the Stock Market tanks.  The President and members of his political party jump on this latest strategy and lay the foundation for more gun control - or even confiscation if you believe some of our esteemed Congressmen and Senators - the Public reacts and buys lots of guns.  I was already looking at the piece I purchased the week prior and this just pushed me over the edge, so I am just as guilty of reacting as anyone.  We seem to live in a world today where our perception of reality is not always based in the facts - if one can even be sure of anything that one cannot verify in person. 

Enough ranting for now.....

Bob
steve f
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »

There is going to be a lot of emotional reaction, and overreaction from a whole lot of people. And yeah from all sides of the issue. I expect a few new factions to develop as well.

Just a few days ago, we were a country that wasn't very concerned about gun issues. Now everybody is reacting, and nobody is thinking. We don't know what to do, but we feel we have to do something. We haven't even fully defined the problem, so everybody's solution is going to be wrong.

Steve
DoS

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »

We have to do something because something entirely insignificant statistically just happened.

Your odds of winning the lotto are probably similar (if not better).

The worst parts are the peer vs. peer battle. If there is no viable discussion of disarming police and training them in conflict resolution, there is no viable discussion for disarming citizens, for me. Unless that happens I can't even consider it a real attempt towards wanting to reduce violence - right or wrong it would be a true sentiment towards violence reduction. As it stands citizen vs. citizen tactics are just ways to de-power the public; making them more worthless politically and devaluing their labor as they can be pushed around endlessly.
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »

Well you should ban knives because people manage to cut themselves with it, you should forbid cars & motocycles because people have drastic accidents, you shouldn't allow bleach because someone drink it, and don't let tube of glue at hand of children, you know some kids spread it on their toasted bread.
You should always carry a helmet, you never know if a flowers pot isn't going to drop.

False problems, purposely wrongly exposed for well hidden and understood aims, that are to create opportunities to get more control over the population, the fuss is made by the medias who are ass to ass with the politicians, they breed together.

It is always the same process again and again that finally destroy logic, natural social laws, society.
Don't get stuck with that one example which just happen, step back, recall you'll find numerous cases.

One death is a tragedy, million death.... are statistics !
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »

Well, here we go. Yes, the evil politician will use the evil actions of a single person to push their agenda, knowing full well their "solution" is nothing more than more control.

The arguments of whether to let teachers be armed dance around the obvious. That being, what is to stop a teacher from going insane and simply bringing a weapon to school and the most important, name just one single incident like this that has not happened in a "gun free zone". The movie theater shooter went out of his way to find a "gun safe theater". He did and he was safe from guns.

SC, I'm proud to say has already introduced legislation to allow teachers with CWP to carry in the school. We recently changed the law to allow CWP holders to bring guns onto school property but only when in the glove box or console and the car must be locked unless another CWP holder is in it. If a passanger is not a CWP holder they must be out of the car and it locked while the owner is inside the school. I can live with this.

Sidney, heard about the new law and heard a couple blurbs by non thinking idiots on the news and local talk show about how "dangerous" it would be to have teachers armed.

You want pure logic, well, here it is............"Dad, this is stupid, If the teachers have CWP what is the problem? They can always just go home and get their gun if they want to kill us. Do they not know that most teachers (she's taking about her school) are men and go hunting? Some of my teachers have pictures of their kids and deer they shot on their desks, I think we can trust they know how to handle a gun". She gets it. She also has had a gun for many years and would shoot a killer in the face, she has the means and ability and if you scare her, oh well.

The other part idiots seem to forget is that the teachers will not be showing off their "gat". It's called "concealed" for a reason. The object is not to scream "we are all armed". The object is for the evil to not know who is and who is not but be certain that some or all are armed. This is a true deterrent.

Having one or two armed cops at school just means they are target one and two. I am "friends" with the armed deputy at Sid's school, known him since the second grade. His son "likes" Sidney. We talk. He knows damn well that he's #1 if a maniac shows up. What do you think his opinion is on a sign that says "This school allows armed CWP teachers" right out front. Or do you think he would prefer "This is a gun free zone".

A sign in front of a store.....  "3 nights a week a man with a double barrel shotgun sleeps inside this store, you figure out which nights". How often you reckon that store gets broken into?

Ed

steve f
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »

Agreed Ed.
As you well know, I currently live in a "gun control" city. Most of the gun violence, and there is a lot of it, comes from gangs, previously convicted felons, etc. They have no trouble getting their hands on weapons. All too often, some innocent gets caught in the fire. Gun laws need to be simplified. Most of the people in Chicago know the current gun restrictions simply don't work. We also know that people become reluctant to protect themselves. Law abiding individuals are at a big disadvantage. The people here that want firearms made illegal are those who can't accept the responsibility for their friends and relatives' criminal behavior. It's much easier to blame society than to punish the guilty... Once. That's my take on it anyway.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:53:09 PM by steve f » Logged
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »

All you " dangerous" guntoters leave one thing out of the equation, and that is one of the main griefs: lack of training.

I´d feel safe with Sid around because her dad taught her about thermoballistic tools before allowing her to have one.
Anyone who has to buy illegal is rather likely to have no training whatsoever and will kill innocent bystanders - by accident, or because the unfamiliar handgun even aggravates his panic.

Pit
DoS

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

All you " dangerous" guntoters leave one thing out of the equation, and that is one of the main griefs: lack of training.

I´d feel safe with Sid around because her dad taught her about thermoballistic tools before allowing her to have one.
Anyone who has to buy illegal is rather likely to have no training whatsoever and will kill innocent bystanders - by accident, or because the unfamiliar handgun even aggravates his panic.

Pit

Hm, but part of their argument is it is less likely for a gun man to promote a situation due to the nature of them not knowing who is and is not carrying, and certainly less of an idea who is trained. Also I generally still feel safer with the firearm in the hands of someone who doesn't want to shoot anybody and doesn't take a job with that potential. Kind of like how you want a President that doesn't want to be President (well good luck with that).
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2012/12/19/agenda-driven-news/
DoS

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »

holy shit

I am not even sure what to say to that. The details clearly signify spectacular lies of coercion.
steve f
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »

PCR is an interesting guy.
bob from florida

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:54 AM »

Went back to Gander to pick up the piece - 3 day wait - yesterday, that took amost 30 minutes due to checking and re-checking paperwork.  Then I wanted to buy some 22LR ammo and none in stock - that is until a manager found an ammo case on a canceled layaway in the back.  Think about that - 22LR not in stock! All the 223 has been gone for days but 22LR -now that is wierd.  It the Fed really wants to put a "wrench" in things all they have to do is limit ammo.

Bob
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »

Bob, what did you get? I reload for every caliber I have except of course .22. I'd suggest a hand press, dies, 5 pounds of powder and 1000 primers, couple hundred rounds of factory ammo and several hundred bullets to reload the cases after you shoot the factory stuff.

You do need to put at least 100 through it if it is an auto. 200 is better. If it is a revolver I'd remove the side plates and make sure there is no grit or gunk in there. Many think all revolvers are more reliable than autos (keep in mind, in the Army  testing the Beretta 92 auto  went 50,000 rounds with zero malfunctions!) and this is usually true but sometimes the insides still have grit, sometimes a lot in there and they can jam up. I have read of this happening in a magazine testing the gun.....they were surprised to find a bunch of crap inside. After flushing and lubing the gun was fine. If a gun mag. can get a bad one, you know anyone can! I do not remember the brand, but I've checked all mine. Well actually flushed them out and re-lubed them "just in case".

.22 is not reliable enough in an auto to be trusted.....sometimes they don't go off. In an auto this is bad and could get you killed. In a revolver you "just press the trigger again"! Some revolvers hold 9 rounds.

The  .22 mag round is more reliable and I do trust my PMR.....30 rounds of .22 Mag. should be enough. Might bore small holes but no one wants to get stabbed repeatedly with a knitting needle Smiley it's also accurate. I sacrifice power for quantity and the ability to easily hit anything I can see.

So, what did you get!?
Ed
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »

I suspect a huge ammo tax is coming. Angry
bob from florida

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Hey Ed,

I picked up a Ruger SR22 - have yet to shoot it but all the references I consulted had high marks for this particular automatic.  It is double / single action has a decocking safety and 2 10 round mags.  I know it not ideal, but is concealable and cheap to practice with and I am training my daughter to shoot.  She liked the 22 Marlin rifle but had problems with the Berretta 92 - which is not exactly concealable.  If the SR22 misfires just pull the trigger again until satisfied -assuming the round in question needs additional encouragement, otherwise cycle the action which hopefully you have time to do.  Anyway I needed some 22LR and now have 1600 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 40 grain copper plated roundnose ammo which is supposed to feed flawlessly in the 22 automatics.

Looking forward to playing with it...

Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: