The Hornshoppe Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: All I want for Christmas is bourbon  (Read 8273 times)
Cheerwino

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

I discovered I like bourbon. Better late than never, I guess.

Any recommendations?
steve f
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »

Makers Mark, Knob Creek. Bourbon is a good thing. Like Vodka.
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

Thanks Steve. I know I like MM. Knob Creek is one to try. I don't recall liking the sour taste of the standard Jim Beam, though.

I've never been a vodka drinker, that I remember. I do have a bottle of that Crystal Head vodka I bought mainly for the cool bottle. My son desperately wants me to drink it so he can use the bottle in one of his Lego scenes.
steve f
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »

I don't like Jim Beam either. Wild Turkey is better.
As far as vodka goes, and being of the heritage that first produced it, always buy a vodka made from golden rye, not wheat, for traditional taste.
But, the smoothest one made is from our pacific northwest out of corn. (high end moonshine?) called Krome. Under any circumstances, friends don't let friends drink Grey Goose.
That's my PSA for the week.
Na zdrowie.
Steve Cool
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:17:56 AM by steve f » Logged
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »

Aristocrat! If you like Maker's Mark you'll like it. Cheap and good. I think I'll get a pint today Smiley.

Beam, JD, Wild Turkey, Ancient Age, Crown Royal...nope. Aristocrat, blended whiskey, to me is as good as it gets, although Maker's Mark is pretty darn good.
Ed

Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

Forget blended Whiskey. Get yourself some single malt Scottish Whiskey and it will blow your socks off.  Grin Grin
steve f
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

Scotch is only good if it is a single malt. Even expensive blended Scotch tastes &@$. Most Scotch distillers buy their barrels used from American bourbon distillers. So... Bourbon influences their product taste. I'll have to try Aristocrat. I just had some Wild Turkey inflight, and it was better then Beam, Jack, etc.
I've been traveling damn near daily lately, and listening to Pandora & drinking a bit are terra firma for me. I was going to write sanity preserving, and then realized on this forum... We all know better.

Steve
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »

I bet you have access to some good stuff over there, Captn'! Oddly enough, single malt Scotch is my gateway to bourbon. It's just so expensive for decent stuff. I've worked my way up to Glenmorangie 12 yr. and just scored a hard to find bottle of Costco 20 yr Speyside. Not sure the age really means quality, though. So, we'll see.

Ed, I see Aristocrat is from Heaven Hill Distillery, which makes several quality brands. I'll check it out.

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »

Hey now, I'm not saying it's "top shelf" because it's not. My little bottles actually are on the bottom shelf  Smiley

I do like it and don't miss Makers Mark. If they cost the same I'd go for MM but they don't and it taste good to me.

CaptZ., you know I love you like a brother, but Scotch tastes like "poison" to me. I've had all types, brands, "quality"  and they all had one thing in common.....they triggered my gag reflex!

Hell, truth is,  what would I know? I like Busch beer and prefer it to almost all commercial beers regardless of brand or cost. If all beer were 2 bucks a six pack I'd still get Busch!

For credibility all I can say is that I was given  two 1.75 liters of MM by a friend. I'd just started drinking again after a two year layoff. Went 2 years, big ears got elected (first time) and I went straight to liquor. By chance my buddy asked if I drank whiskey a few days later and I said "I do now". He gave me that first bottle of MM. It was really good. He gave me a second bottle for fixing his computer. I had no idea at all it was "high quality and expensive". I just knew I liked it. Eventually ran out and went to buy a bottle while in Leesville. Holy cow! I had no idea what he had given me until then! I said "damn, I can't afford that" and got a bottle of Ancient Age. Better than Beam or JD (to me). But it was no substitute for MM.

Then I met Wanita. She's the "girl" at the liquor store closer to home. While looking at whiskey I mentioned I really liked MM because it tastes good but can't afford it. She said "try Aristocrat if you like MM" . She does not drink but she does know what people buy! She was right. She was also right about Svedka Vodka vs. Grey Goose. Svedka is better (to me) and "cheap". Wanita pays attention to what her customers say and the fact she does not drink or try to up sell leads me to trust her.

Aristocrat is 80 proof, MM is 90.....Aristocrat is 20% Kentucky Whiskey and 80% neutral grain spirits. They are not in the same class as to quality. I don't care, Aristocrat tastes good to me, if it didn't I'd make Sidney buy me MM with her Christmas money. I rest my case Smiley
Ed
ps....try Svedka if you like vodka!
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

Hey, whassup there - none of you hairy colonials is of French origin and dreams of decent brandy?

OKOK, I´ll not start then. Get two continental Frogs together, ask them about Cognac vs. Armagnac and you´ll behold a battle your Civil War doesn´t compare with.

Pit
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »

"Brandy" ? Isn't that the name of a hot 25 year old blonde? Surely it can't the name of any kind of serious liquor?
Ed
ps....I forgot to mention...."Aristocrat is matured for a full 36 months". Says so right on the bottle!
steve f
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »

Pit, The only place in the US of A that drinks brandy is the state of Wisconsin. Really. The cheese heads are really into it. The more sophisticated parts of the country, the other 49 states really don't drink it.

Ed is wrong. Brandy is a brunette; Brandi is the blonde.

Steve.  Cool
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:49:58 AM »

Oh yeah, Ed, I forgot about your discerning beer pallet (at least it's not "lite"). I'm with you on the Svedka (not that I know much about vodka). Not so sure about the Aristocrat. But, it must be good with a fancy name like that.  Wink

I do know MM is a wheated bourbon (using wheat instead of rye) which gives it a smoother taste. The "hot" bourbon now Pappy Van Winkle, is a wheat as is Larceny Bourbon. Two value-priced wheats are supposed to be Old Fitzgerald and WL Weller. I can totally see that they might create a similar flavor for Aristocrat as MM using flavorings. MM is rather sweet with strong cinnamon and caramel hints, to me.

I got an early self-purchased Christmas present of a Willet Pot Still bourbon, which is nice, but I'm actually fine with the Kirkland Costco brand (which some love and some hate).
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »

Any recommendations?
Try this search tool.  http://www.tastings.com/search_spirits.lasso

If you are looking for budget choices, Elijah Craig 12 or Evan Williams Single Barrel.

One step up is Booker's (very strong).

Pappy Van Winkle is among the top level.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:42:45 AM by sonic » Logged
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »

Ed, you can pour your Aristocrat into your MM bottle!  Wink

The only thing open Christmas Day at the retail intersection near our house was the liquor store. Larceny Bourbon has a $10 rebate on a $20 fifth bottle. It's nice. Perhaps too smooth for me, but definitely a buy for $10 (assuming you eventually get the rebate).

At least the bourbon hobby doesn't accumulate lots of gear to take over the room and irritate the wife.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: