The Hornshoppe Forum
December 17, 2017, 05:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Audio.....  (Read 15955 times)
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »

Sonic, you may be right but what is important is if the dac has audio output and that is what you need to use. That circuit will determine the ultimate sound. The differences in the audio out of usb dacs is HUGE. I recently tried the "well regarded" "ODAC".
Compared to my CAL, Audio Alchemy and Aragon it was simply horrible. No other way to put it. I feed the other dacs from a Trends USB . The difference is startling. I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion of that device, I don't care. It sucked. I had high hopes for it and really wanted it to be "good". I would not use it if it were a gift, much less pay for it. I feel certain the problem is in the audio out circuit. The model I had did not have a digital out so I could not use it like I do the Trends to be certain.

Ed
There are exceptions.  Some DACs are not so well designed or intentionally designed to add coloration to sound.  When designed to meet the industry transparency standard, today's DACs (except for some esoteric ones) all sound excellent.
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

I think the issue with playback is timing from the CD drive or jitter.  
It's not an audible problem anymore.
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

Hey Ed, I have a ODAC, that was the one you sent back to me from the last Hornfest. Its not super great, but not bad. maybe let yours burn in some...John

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 07:20:15 AM »

Hey Ed, I have a ODAC, that was the one you sent back to me from the last Hornfest. Its not super great, but not bad. maybe let yours burn in some...John
Is this ODAC by JDS Labs?  Unless there's vacuum tubed DAC with same name, I don't see why burn-in would be a factor.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »

Sonic, yep, that's it.
Hey John, didn't yours have optical or co-ax digital out?  For some reason I thought we plugged it into my CAL DAC  George's only had audio out jacks. Hooking it  via it's audio out into The Truth was not near as good as my Trends and CAL combo into The Truth. Of course we're not talking about value here, CAL DAC and Trends is a "little" more expensive than the ODAC for a way to get audio from computer to pre amp.
Ed
MannyE

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »

Hi guys. I'm converting my Dell Mini10 into a dedicated music server, and considering just using the existing Win7/Media Center with the FLAC plugins.  The Mini 10 I have only has a line out miniplug so I'm going to run that directly into an Orb Audio Mini-T and hear that (I guess that would be using whatever DAC the mini 10 has internally)...should be fun.  If it sounds good, I'll let you know.  If not, I've got to figure out if I can get the digital signal somehow and throw some DAC at it. 

tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

I am just thinking loud and try to get a sensible setup.

Suppose you have the AmpCampAmp and the Truth as base.
You add a turntable, a CD player and an MP3 player of some kind like a SansaClip which can play waw, flac....
Then you have your desktop system with a NAS and lot of music in it.

1) The Truth would need four separate input
2) CD and MP3 have already their DAC, how to over pass them to use a better DAC ? I guess the answer is "it cannot be done".
3) The desktop is noisy and tho far away from the hifi setup, you can only retry the music from wifi.

Solution ideas
1) Use the CD as it is or rip all CDs and store them on the computer
2) Keep the Clip to have fun outside
3) Find a good Wifi / Dac device to draw music from the NAS
or get a dedicated laptop + good DAC + tablet as telecommand

I believe many are in a similar situation and
your comments are welcome.

Michel
GorK

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »

I keep my files on a 2TB Toshiba drive, run VLC, iTunes and Sirius on a  laptop with CD and wifi, and I output to a DAC via USB (Odac).
 + is the whole setup cost me around $350 and I can upgrade as advancements come along.
 - is with the laptop you can have latency issues surrounding the lcd screen, the fan and other hardware that you really don't need for audio playback.  The wifi card adds noise.  The fan adds noise too.

There are stand alone solutions like the Auraliti.  All things considered it isn't that much more in funds if you haven't already purchased a DAC and don't have a used laptop hanging around. 
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »

2) CD and MP3 have already their DAC, how to over pass them to use a better DAC ?
What constitutes "better" DAC? 
tfoust1

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »

It's the one that sounds best to you.  I tried several and found the Vision DAC made by Van Alstine to be the best I've heard with my systems.  It's all about synergy in the end.
tooppy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »

2) CD and MP3 have already their DAC, how to over pass them to use a better DAC ?

You made a point for sure as I rely on peoples from here and elsewhere who have listen to many different DAC and seems to easily ear differences.
I do not have the chance to ear a variety of equipment, shouldn't I give a bit of trust in these guys ?
Who knows I might be shock for the better if I ear something else than my gear !
If you never eat shit, you won't know what you missed !

So I have the weakness to believe the DAC in a small MP3 isn't up the top, my mistake otherwise and I would love to be wrong.
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »

I am very interested to hear what sonic has to say about this analogy.  Grin
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

It's the one that sounds best to you.  I tried several and found the Vision DAC made by Van Alstine to be the best I've heard with my systems.  It's all about synergy in the end.
Did you listen to them at matched level?
sonic

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »

You made a point for sure as I rely on peoples from here and elsewhere who have listen to many different DAC and seems to easily ear differences.
I do not have the chance to ear a variety of equipment, shouldn't I give a bit of trust in these guys ?
Who knows I might be shock for the better if I ear something else than my gear !

So I have the weakness to believe the DAC in a small MP3 isn't up the top, my mistake otherwise and I would love to be wrong.
Did they listen to DACs at matched level?
tfoust1

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »

I don't understand the term matched levels. Will you help me?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: