The Hornshoppe Forum
August 20, 2018, 09:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying my upgrade ala carte  (Read 9183 times)
steve f
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »

All of the parts arrived today. I'll wire them up tonight and Horned Heils here I come!
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

Sounds like you will have fun. Let us know the differences you'll hear.
steve f
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Capt. Z,
As usual, something always seems to go wrong. I spent an incredible amount of time trying to clean up the old Heil magnet structures. I got mad and put them in the dishwasher to finish the process. None of this would have been necessary if prior parties didn't mess with them. Sigh.
Steve

Edit: the dishwasher did a great job finishing the clean up. Even the metal plates look much better.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:09:57 PM by steve f » Logged
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Dishwasher?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh/

You must have gone mad....

So what damage did the dishwasher do???
steve f
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

Well Captain, it seems the dishwasher did just fine. Remember, I only placed in EMPTY cores.  A buddy who works on restoring Vettes' suggested trying it out.  I did not use the heated drying cycle though. The cores ended up looking much better.  After drying, I loaded in the new diaphragms, sealed things up, and gave it a try.  I plan to do a bit of decorative woodworking, but I forgot to buy 4 black washers to match the through bolts.  You don't need them to make music, but I wanted to build  sleds for the Heils. I also have a piece of zebra wood to cap them and fill the voids from missing pieces.  The old versions of the big Heil had a square body without indentations like the current ones.  

The big question is "how do they sound?" I'm still playing around with subwoofer levels, necessary because of the increase in high frequencies.  So far I'm watching a movie and dialog is super detailed, Now I am aware of actors breathing, foley sounds, etc.  In short, I find them excellent.  More later.

Steve

PS: Okay, I've played a couple of CD's, no records yet, and I gotta say "I LIKE IT!" if you haven't updated to the Horned Heils yet, don't waste any more time. Place your order. The only way I see to improve my system now is to run a second sub. One isn't enough for room loading differences. Piano, female voice, and any stringed instrument are way way better than just the Horns alone. The woofers are not working as hard and distortion is noticeably reduced. I like em' better than some big (read over $10K expensive) electrostatics I auditioned recently. No doubt about it, Ed is on the same lap with the big boys.

PPS: I will write more in a few days.  I did call Ed today. I had to.... Rarely am I that impressed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:20:17 PM by steve f » Logged
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »

Gee, bet they sound cleaner Cool...John

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
steve f
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »

I am having  friends over this week. We are going to play audiophile, and then do a review of the Horny Heils.
steve f
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »

One of my friends took one look at the Heils perched on top of my Horns and said, " You've got to be friggin' kidding me. What is that?"  We just sat there a couple of minutes, and then I hit play. Haha I love blowing people's minds. We spent about an hour running the Horns, then adding the Heils, and going back & forth. Nobody expected the sound quality the speakers deliver.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: