The Hornshoppe Forum
November 22, 2017, 03:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: update after Hfest........  (Read 11772 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

Well guys even though the track record for not reporting a lot of the activities after the party is well known. This year was different. Tues. after the fest I woke up with a stomach ache. It got worse as the day went on. By night I was incapacitated. The night was miserable. Hard to even describe the pain. Wed. morn I felt slightly better but was really unable to get off couch. By Wed. night the ache was gone but my guts felt like I had been repeatedly punched in the gut. I spent all day again on the couch Thursday. "Carlsor"  had planned to come by so I could hear "The Absolute Truth". I was at maybe 60% but I really wanted to meet him and hear it. I just felt bad for him because I could not have been "good company" but again, we had planned this for quite a while and I was not too bad off, more discomfort than pain. I drank a beer while he was here.....I know, I know but it did not seem to affect my guts. By Friday night I was just sore from the spasms. Sat. was good. Smoked a brisket on Sun. and rode the Bunny a while....this hurt my guts if I sat down on the seat. Felt great Mon.  I'd had fever off an on since Tues and my thinking was way bad the whole week. Could not concentrate to type. Tues of this week I felt great and appetite was back, I did not eat from Tues until Friday the week before, btw. So anyway about 1pm I ate a big bowl of skillet fried potatoes and 2 brisket on hot dog bun sammiches ....and had a couple beers. At 3:30 I picked Sid up. On the way home it hit me, just like before only FAST this time. By the time we got home I was balled up on the couch again...stayed there Tues. and Wed.....hurt too bad to move. Started subsiding Wed night except again for the pain of my muscles from spasms. Been on couch all day today getting steadily "better". Of course Helen has been trying to get me to the hospital but I don't think it's time yet. Oh yea, on Sat. I HAD to replace a pulley on the Probe.......grabbed a wrench, turned around and bent down and hit the edge of the hood . Opened me up to the skull, saw the bright white light and knocked me to my knees. I still have a knot! Probably needed a stitch or two but I bet you can guess the answer to that!

I have been in contact with a doctor friend. Here is what we "think".......prior to Hfest I hurt my shin and was taking a LOT of Ibuprofen and aspirin to combat the inflammation. He told me to take Zantac to protect my stomach. I ran out the last few days. Then Hfest comes along and 4-5 days of heavy beer drinking. Best guess is I developed an ulcer...and it is a guess but it all fits. Then I bang my head...yep more Ibuprofen...without the Zantac. 2 big hits, too much Ibuprofen, stress of the fest, excessive beer drinking, and no regard to my diet.

I'm down to an even 125!

My friend said...."your drinking days are over".

So there you go......I did not much care for this and if it hits me again I'll be in the hospital, I simply can't take that pain again and I'm going to do everything I can to heal my stomach. If it happens again it will not be due to me eating the wrong thing or drinking beer and I figure it will mean "bad news".

So there you go, I have an excuse for not reporting on the FANTASTIC time I had seeing you all again, I just wish all my homey's that would have liked to have been here could have made it.

Ed
ps...."Carlsors" mods are impressive.....we did try and compare his to mine (Saby's) but as you guys all Know that is tough even under the best of conditions. One thing is for sure....they sure as Hell do not hurt anything and  I can see doing the P/S mods for sure. My concern is that if I do them to units I sell the price will double...at least.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:19:47 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
donnie2

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »

Ed, The only thing I can think to say to you is a Warren Zevon quote.
"Well, first of all, let me say that I might have made a tactical error in not going to a physician for 20 years. It was one of those phobias that really didn't pay off."
Warren Zevon
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/warren_zevon_2.html#iF5ulM3uxxkaEoTU.99
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:37:42 AM »

So sorry to hear this. Ed, please go to the actual doctor's office today, NOT the emergency room. Even if you have to go to a doc-in-a-box or nurse at the drugstore, they can help you head this off before it gets more expensive and difficult to heal.

I avoid going to the doctor, mostly because I disagree with much of what they think is a healthy diet. But, trauma and infection is what they do know about and do well.

Please, even if you won't do it for Sid and Helen, do it for us! [how's that for passive aggressive guilt laying? Wink)
steve f
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »

Ed,
Yeah what they said. Okay, I'll do my part. No more arguing politics until you heal. Besides, I'm usually right anyway. Just remember that Donnie can't keep that sacrificial goat forever. Seriously though buddy, make the big effort to take care of it now. I hate the md game too, but sometimes you just have to go with the program.
Steve
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Signs point to ulcer...started bland diet, prilosec, lots o water, no fat, no caffeine, no beer, no fun. Prilosec should just now be having effect and I feel almost normal today. I've got no fever. At this point my goal is just to make it until I build a Cube and finish Saby's pre amp. I MUST get those done in case of something serious. I may go for blood work, but again, unless it happens again I need to finish those items at least, just in case. I need a few good days. If I've guessed right and it does turn out to be an ulcer then all's well, sort of. One way or the other I will get looked at as soon as I can or if anything else happens.
The fun never ends........oh yes it did.......with the stopping of beer consumption.
Ed

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »

I should mention that this was a good time to get sick and battered. The weather has not been conducive to woodworking. I would have been on hold most of the time since Hfest anyway for that. The main loss was in building pre amps. I would have them all except Nigel's off the books....and I'm waiting for him to send me some parts for his.

As you all know dad builds the cabinets and I finish them. Dad is quite capable of doing the whole thing if I were to be down for a while.

So rest assured, The Horn Shoppe is soldiering on and as a matter of fact had the weather been good today I would have been picking up wood for dad. It was supposed to be fine....but the is SC and it is that time of year!

Hell, we can't stop, we'll starve if we do Wink!

Ed
steve f
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »

Our human bodies have an amazing ability for self repair; if we give them a chance. The Guy
Upstairs knows his stuff. Be careful, and do what needs to be done.

Steve
donnie2

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »

OK, if it is a ulcer I have a cure. The fix is a little tough as it requires the slaughter of a Cape Buffalo. I'm pretty sure that I don't have the right gun for this process so I'm thinking about a way to slit the throat of one with my Buck pocket knife.
I just did some real research on ulcers, No booze, keep your stress levels down, no asprin, eat well. Be a mello fellow!

Henry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »

Ed,
I ibuprofen-ed my way into a duodenal (peptic) ulcer last year after 18 months of hard labor at my "retirement" job.  It sounds like you may have the gastric variety, from the symptoms you've described (I'll take the duodenal type, less pain).   Wink

You seriously need to check with a doctor soon if the symptoms don't completely subside soon.  Many gastric ulcers are caused by a strain of bacteria that is difficult to kill without the right antibiotics, so all the good behavior may be moot and that would be insulting at best.   Cry
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:08:02 AM »

Another forum category... "Medical Maladies" where we discuss our National Enquirer-esque diseases.   Cheesy
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »

Thanks again guys.

Henry, that's what my doc buddy has told me. He's contacting me every day. IV anitbiotics are the only way if it is bacteria and that will require a visit to hospital probably.

So far so good........the diest and prilosec for last few days seems to be doing it for me so far. But I am HUNGRY.....I can not eat enough of that bland stuff to keep hunger away for long.

My stomach now feels as if I now have a "little heartburn" vs. severe pain. This is a good thing probably, before the pain was bad enough I could not feel the slight feeling of heartburn.

Donnie, you are a riot....If I croak Helen will have to sell my guns....she'll need money but I will instruct her to give you a special deal on one of the S&W 460 Magnums.....should make your sacrifices of anything on the planet easy. Smiley

Thanks guys for the encouragement and well wishes!

Ed

carlsor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

It was a pleasure to visit Ed in his natural habitat while on my way from FL to IL.  Because he didn't know for sure what was ailing him there was no hugging or kissing.  There was also the debris field of Hornfest remnants, but this didn't detract from my visit.

Of course Ed had to pop the lid off my Truth to take a close look at my Mods.
We did a lot of listening comparison between his stock Truth and my fully modded unit, mostly with Karen Carpenter.  The differences were subtle and totally dependant on the detail resolution of the speakers, amp, source material, and ears.  To my ears the mods made the music a bit more real and 3 dimensional with the slight increase in detail resolution contributing to the illusion of Karen being in the room. 

By the way I had forgotten how good the stock Truth sounded.  My truth had a component degradation in the power supply or buffer cap and Ed gave me the green light to replace, upgrade, or add components to restore the sound quality.  Once I picked up the soldering gun I couldn't put it down until all the mods that made sense to me were tried.  I now have a preamp I can live with forever.  I am back in Illinois now and put the Truth in my system with the Emerald Physics CS2.3 speakers and DIY Parafeed 2A3 amps.  Holy Nirvana!

carlsor
steve f
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »

I'm sending Donnie my old Ka-Bar. We can't afford to take any chances.

Steve.   Cool
donnie2

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

I'm booking a non-stop flight between Decatur Il. and South Africa. Since they won't let me carry my Buck on the plane I am shipping it DHL overnight to Cape Town. I figure that Cape Buffalo are as thick as white tail deer are around here so it shouldn't be a problem finding one. All I will have to do is sneek up behind one, jump on it's back and slit it's throat. Now this needs to be done under the light of a full moon and of course I will have to be naked, as in all religious ceremonies that really work. Ed, I will need a lock of armpit hair and a old pair of boots from you. This illness can be beat!
Or you could go to someone with a MD after their name. I'm waiting for instructions.
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »

Hey guys, I really have been in contact with a friend with an "MD' after his name. I am doing EXACTLY what he suggests. I asked permission to ride the Bunny today.....but before he could get back I figured it would be fine for a short one. Wrong. He said "NO!". No rides, no beer, no good food....no fun at all. He said "rest and drink plenty of fluids".

I've really missed my evening rides. I was rusty today........amazing how much a difference a week or two off makes. Even if you only get 20 minutes a day. Bunny started first kick and I did not even bust a shin!

Feeling better each day and really hoping feeling better is the same as getting better!
Ed
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: