The Hornshoppe Forum
June 22, 2017, 10:13:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My humble system  (Read 10883 times)
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »

Without spending a king's ransom, I have put together a pretty nice sounding rig .....  Cheesy

The Horns share loudspeaker duties with another pair of speakers, but here is what the room looks like when The Horns are struttin' their stuff .....

The Horns sound great with a pair of Hawthorne Audio Augie open baffle subs .....

I have a 300B amp as well as this very fine type 10 based amplifier designed and built by our good friend Buzz .....

Great hobby, this audio thing .....  Cool

Randy

Rega Saturn-R transport
Camelot Uther DAC with Anagram upgrade
La Dolce Audio UA1.5 pentode amplifier
Decware SE84UFO, the Spud, Flea Watt amplifiers
Caintuck Audio Betsy open baffle speakers
Caintuck Audio Alpha open baffle subs
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »

Hey Randy,
Do you still use that CD lens thingy (I forgot it's name)?  I like your current system because it reflects planning and focus; and most of all, it seems to make you content.  A departure from what we've all gone through or are going through in the audio tail-chase.  Grin

I'm still anticipating the arrival of the 300b amp, but I don't have time to assemble it anyway.  Good things come to those...
 Sad
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »

Howdy Henry,

Funny that you should mention the Genesis Digital Lens .....  Roll Eyes

I have owned a couple of them over the years and highly recommend them.  They really did improve the sound of any transport and DAC I used them with.  It was always interesting to observe the effect on cables.  With the Lens in the chain, it simply didn't matter what digital cables were used.  It made them all sound identical ..... and very good.  It didn't matter what type ..... coaxial, balanced, ATT glass, whatever.  I could sit there and change them on the fly with the remote control and there was not one bit of difference that could be heard.  I amazed a few of my audio buddies with this little "trick" .....  Cool

Unfortunately, the last Digital Lens that I bought was defective.  It would "hiccup" in the middle of a song which was very distracting.  It was an intermittent thing, but enough to set my teeth on edge.  Since it is no longer manufactured or supported by Genesis (or any of the repair shops that used to work on them), I sold it to a person on AudioGon for parts.

The good news is that the latest version of the Anagram upgrade in the Camelot Uther DAC must have some sort of digital lens type circuitry built in to it, because I can do the same thing with it ..... any type or brand of digital cable can be swapped on the fly from the remote and there is NO difference in the sound at all ..... they all sound great .....  Smiley

It's interesting that the Digital Lens does not show up on AudioGon nearly as often as they used to.  It seems that the folks who own one appreciate what they do and are keeping them. 

Looking forward to seeing you at HornFest  2011.  I have some great new music to share with everyone .....

Best wishes,

Randy

Rega Saturn-R transport
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »

BTW .....

Larger copies of the photos can be found here :

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/Horn_room_1med.jpg

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/Horn_augie_med.jpg

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/Type10_cabinet1med.jpg

http://www.randallrash.com/web_images/Type10_cabinet2med.jpg

Enjoy the music,

Randy

Rega Saturn-R transport
firebottle

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

I've seen that rig before.  I've also heard it too, awesome sounding rig.  That current setup has more depth and detail than one can imagine.  The rear wall pretty much disappears altogether.  It's just a really enjoyable system to listen to.  Keep that transport spinning, Randy. 

Rob 
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »

I've seen that rig before.  I've also heard it too, awesome sounding rig.  That current setup has more depth and detail than one can imagine.  The rear wall pretty much disappears altogether.  It's just a really enjoyable system to listen to.  Keep that transport spinning, Randy. 

Rob 

Howdy Rob,

Thanks for the kind words .....  Smiley

I really enjoyed my recent visit to hear your system as well.

That 845 amp was really "lightin' up" The Horns .....  Cool

Looking forward to you visiting Caintuck in the near future,

Randy

Rega Saturn-R transport
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »

Update time .....  Grin

Attendees of the HornFest from a couple of years ago got to hear The Horns with one of the Hawthorne Audio Augie 15" open baffle drivers that I brought with me ..... and the combo was well received .....  Cool

Here is the current setup with my "Augie short stacks" driven by two plate amps as a true stereo pair.

Larger image here.

With The Horns about 5 feet out from the room corners and the Augies crossed over at 60 hZ, the sound stage is mighty fine and the bass is "ample" and very natural.

It's still mind bending after all these years to hear this much music coming from two 4" drivers .....  Shocked

Good stuff .....

Looking forward to May 4-6,

Randy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:50:36 PM by Randy in Caintuck » Logged

Rega Saturn-R transport
Henry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »

Hey Randy, I recently got the 300B amp kit from Gabe and it's great with the Heil/Horn:

I haven't changed it from stock much, but that simple little amp sure does sound right to me.  I'll bring it to Ed's and you (and hopefully Dave) can school me on a few tweaks.   Wink

Thanks for sharing the Horn/Augie set up, I bet it sounds "big" but nimble. 
Randy in Caintuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »

Howdy Henry,

So happy to hear that you have your 300B amp ..... it sure looks familiar .....  Wink

Mine sounded just fine in stock format ..... a lot better to my ears than some rather costly 300B amps that I have heard.

Most DH-SET amplifiers have a little hum, and mine did as well.  On a whim, I put a "cheater plug" on the AC cord to eliminate the grounding prong and the amp is now almost dead quiet.  I'm curious to know if that has any effect on your amp.

I just finished listening to Keith Don't Go from the Nils Lofgren CD "Acoustic Live" on my Horn / Augie combo ..... insane .....  Grin

Looking forward to seeing you in May,

Randy

Rega Saturn-R transport
homey

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

Very nice system Randy.  I'll bet it sounds fabulous with those subs along with the Horns. & that furniture you got the electronics on
looks really great,  love the color of the stain/finish, & look at all that room. Great job. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: