The Hornshoppe Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:43:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuation of APPJ 6f3 amp story  (Read 9605 times)
Radio

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »

Happy New Year to All!!! Time to get back to some good listening. I just wanted to let everyone know that the little ebay amp which lists for $169 is a no-brainer for Horn owners. It comes with a pair of generic Chinese tubes with cloudy glass that sound pretty darn good. I thought I heard "potential" in there so I went ahead and ordered two 6GV8/ECL85 plain vanilla RCA NOS tubes from my friendly tube seller.
While waiting for them to arrive I did a little search for the tube's story and found an article discussing the equivalent Russian 6f5p. The author, a mysterious tube genius, compared the output pentode half (in triode mode) to the famed 2A3. It seems to have identical "curves" so we may actually have a winner here, in disguise.

Jump ahead to the arrival of the RCA's and all I can say is "****" It's the kind of result that will amaze your friends. Display the largest and most complicated rig you have but play through the APPJ. It will make your day. At least it did mine. Nothing like sweet music and I don't have to hide my paypal receipt!

I have absolutely no interest in selling these things to anyone. They are cheap and sound good, are a bargain, and go plenty loud. What's not to like? The Horns make it all possible. Thanks Ed.
jimndre

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

I just saw that members of diy audio can buy this amp for $150.  Here is a link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/176069-creative-6f3-mini-tube-amplifer.html
jimndre

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »

Hey Radio, the tube store sells NOS 6GV8's for $5.95 ea.  Are these comparable to the tubes you bought?  Thanks,

Jim
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:45:16 PM by jimndre » Logged
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »

Jim: are you gonna order one? It's not clear to me how ordering works through this source.

Guy
jimndre

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »

Jim: are you gonna order one? It's not clear to me how ordering works through this source.

Guy

Hi Guy,

I just ordered it.  I joined the diy audio forum and PM'ed the guy.  His name is Tony.  Here is his email address:  twinsaudio08@yahoo.com.hk  Maybe if you email him, he will sell one at the same price without having to join the diy audio forum. 

He also offered me a set of nos russian 6F5P tubes for $10.  I bit.  So the cost was $150 for the amp, $10 for the tubes and $35 for shipping, $195 total.

I'll post impressions after I get the amp.
Radio

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »

I paid the same price of $150 + shipping. Interesting about the tubes. The russian equivalents are available for a few dollars each. I was lucky enough to find three different types with the Telefunkens at $10/each being the most expensive. All sound good compared to the included type which I found to be tinny and typical of stock sino tubes. The swap makes sense here simply because the change is pretty dramatic. It goes from "it might sound better with decent tubes" to a pretty nice little amp.

I think it compares very well with the Miniwatt S1. In my system the Horns play plenty loud and have good punch at both ends. For a flea-power amp intended for desktop audio it's surprisingly musical when fitted with decent tubes. The manufacturer describes it as being limited sonically but really small. Horn owners have the luxury of high efficiency and they turn this really small amp into a keeper.

Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »

Thanks y'all. Yeah Jim, I'm a member at DIY Audio (although I'm really a BIYer "Buy It Yourselfer") and sent Tony an e-mail.

Radio, I see what I guess is your & Poultrygeist's original comments in the thread at the old forum, here. How does this APPJ 6f3 compare to the earlier Miniwatt? Don't know why this has piqued my interest, but it has.
jimndre

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

I paid the same price of $150 + shipping. Interesting about the tubes. The russian equivalents are available for a few dollars each. I was lucky enough to find three different types with the Telefunkens at $10/each being the most expensive. All sound good compared to the included type which I found to be tinny and typical of stock sino tubes. The swap makes sense here simply because the change is pretty dramatic. It goes from "it might sound better with decent tubes" to a pretty nice little amp.

Where did you find tubes?  I called the Tube Store (www.thetubestore.com)
and they had nos rca's.  They said that they couldn't match them though.  I would be interested in doing some rolling to see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:51:55 PM by jimndre » Logged
Radio

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

Hi All,

One more bit about buying the APPJ. It's available from ebay sellers in China. I bought it from the original vendor "super-market" which had a best offer tab. I actually paid 150 + shipping. For the less adventurous folks who prefer a US dealer, ALO Audio also sells the amp but for a bit more money. The advantage in buying from them is the support you get. Is it worth the extra cash? That's for the individual to decide but it is available and makes reasonable sense to me. I recently had a small issue with a MW N3 which they quickly repaired and returned in amazingly good time. It's a personal decision but at the time I ordered one I had no idea it was even sold here. Ken at ALO makes tube upgrades easy and if this amp proves to be popular he's bound to have "packages".

I made a few mistakes in the tube arena. I eventually figured out that 6gv8 us, el85/805 euro or 6f5p Russian all will work in the APPJ. Most are relatively inexpensive and by far Russian NOS are the most plentiful I've seen. For around $200 complete it's a pretty sweet deal.

This isn't a big investment but it sure sounds like one when powering the Horns. I hope anyone who's considering this won't be disappointed but it's not a huge risk to take. Worse comes to worse it'll do the desktop computer speaker thing really well and still be really small.

Jim,
I found the tubes from a bunch of sources. Darcell in California had a few choice pieces. The rest were E-pay specials direct from russia etc. As for "matching" it would have been nice but not too many dealers stock these tubes and few would bother to have them in sets. If Ken at ALO would sell them they'd be matched for sure.

Cheerwino,
It's a toy that sounds amazingly good for what it is. My MW s1 is powering my daughter's music in NYC so I don't have immediate access, but it's pretty darn close if memory serves. (Decent tubes a must)
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »

All y´all,

matching Russian or Chinese built tubes isn´t as important as it used to be. By now the firms there have cottoned on to us not wanting to pay hard cash for bottom-of-the-barrel quality - we get tubes built to pretty tight tolerances.

Pit
Radio

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »

I just received a pair of Mazda ECL805 from a UK seller. Took forever but more a factor of shipping than anything else. I think getting the Sino-specials out of the amp is the most important thing. What you put back will be a major improvement and the rest is a matter of taste. The NOS Russian tubes are available in lots of 4-10 for little money and the most expensive I could find were about ten bucks. It's a matter of smoothness. The amp sounds good with any of the replacements. It's tube-rolling heaven though because you only need two to make a change. The change can be dramatic.
Cheers.
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »

Radio,

Tongue bad luck, ole boy! Having bought shitty boxes would have saved you from all that trouble. You wouldn´t hear any difference.
Radio

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »

Hey Pit,
I think I'm going to go back to my home theater system to listen to music. It has more channels and explosions sound far better. Strictly silicon and doesn't get real hot either. Plus it has a nice display that tells you if you're in a stadium, in case you didn't know. Grin
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »

WOW, what have you been smoking? Gimmesome. Grin
jimndre

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »

Got the APPJ today.  It's been playing for about 5 hours.  Very nice so far.  Seems to be changing as it burns in though.  Of course I installed the better tubes from the get go.  I'll post impressions when it settles in.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: