The Hornshoppe Forum
December 08, 2019, 12:22:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helen taking cwp with 95 year old pistol  (Read 586 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: August 26, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »

This weekend Helen and Sid will take the CWP class. I just realized how special their guns are.  Sidney will shoot her single action Ruger Bearcat that Mac gave her when she was about 11. His Dad  bought it for him when he was a kid. It's special.

The pistol Helen will qualify with is very special in a different way. It belonged to my Grandmothers 3rd husband and was given to me when he died. It is a Colt "pre Woodsman" first generation Target Model. It was made in 1923, before the name "Woodsman" was put on the pistol. It is very accurate and so smooth it is crazy. It is 95 years old or so and has every original part in it. Nothing has ever been replaced in it. It has never malfunctioned a single time in the 10 years or so I've had it. The fit and finish are just unbelievable. The slide feels like it is running on ball bearings. They really don't make them like this anymore.

I'll never sell it and my guess is that it will shoot just as good in another 95 years as it does now. Maybe it will need a spring or two by then.

They should have no problem qualifying with ancient guns. Smiley
Ed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Woodsman

Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 11:31:08 PM »

They both got their permits (finally) . Oddly, nothing has changed..... they both carried their guns anyway, now they just have "permission", which  no one should have to have but it is what it is.

Sidney has a S&W 9mm M&P Shield and a Kel Tec 32 (back up gun).....Poor Helen, she has to make do with a Kahr 9mm, bless her heart. Kidding of course, her Kahr is a very nice pistol and has never had a single malfunction. Neither has Sidney's. Reliability is much more important than extreme accuracy...all modern pistols are capable of 7-10 yard "combat accuracy'....it's just that not all are 100% reliable.

I'm confident all of ours will go bang every time they are asked and that is all I ask of them, the rest is up to the person pulling the trigger.

Just remember..."support a women's right to choose..........any gun she wants"  because... "a woman's place is behind the trigger".
Ed
Cheerwino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »

Was thinking how funny it would be to bring percussion cap pistol. "Hey, it's in a self defense caliber!"
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »

Hey Guy, gotta fire 50 rounds. No black powder stuff allowed. Most places don't want you to even shoot a .22. These guys dinint care at all, they actually liked their guns.

After you get the permit you can certainly carry a BP revolver. Smiley
Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: